Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thul'Ka Wiki Is Too Spammed

rillanirillani Administrator
edited September 2014 in Works In Progress
Hi everyone!

Our Thul'Ka wiki has been attacked by a flood of spambots.  This is not a personal attack on us; rather, gangs of bots rove the internet looking for any unprotected space they can post their shady deals on.  I was negligent, and bots took over.  Now the issue has come to a point.  GoDaddy (our web host) emailed me stating that the Thul'Ka Wiki database has amassed 2 gigs of information, twice what I'm technically paying for.  They want me to fix that, or they will have to delete the wiki database.

The good news: The pages we made are intact!  Hooray!

The Bad News: The spam bots created about 2 gigabytes of useless spam pages.  There is so much that deleting them one by one would probably take years, and deleting them all at once causes a server error, "Request Too Large."

I don't think we can keep that wiki.  I made a new wiki in the main wordpress site.  Wordpress is MUCH easier to protect from spam.  I copied over a few pages, but some still need to be transferred.

Will you help transfer pages?

1. Go to the new wiki and try logging in with your forum name.*  The login should be in a black bar at the top of the screen.
  2. Copy directly from the old wiki pages--not the edit pages.  The new wiki supports rich text formatting, meaning you don't have to use code to make things bold, etc.
  3. Make a new page in the wordpress wiki.  Paste text.
  4. All links in the text will be broken (they'll go to the spammy wiki).  You can leave them broken for now, or fix them.
I'm sorry we have to move the wiki again.  I'm sorry I didn't get to the spammers sooner.  Life has been a little overwhelming lately.

*I've been toying with wordpress as a side project; I wanted to see if I could get the wordpress wiki and wordpress forum to use the same logins.  It should hopefully work.
Tagged:

Comments

• I can do some transferring tonight, I think. I'm home sick from work today and have children crawling all over me and/or begging me to read books. But, once they go to bed, I should have some time.
  • rillanirillani Administrator
    Since the old (Anaxas-focused) wiki is still safe, all we need to transfer are the pages we updated for Thul'Ka.
  • That's a relief! Just new stuff. Not so intimidating. Still sad about the spam. 2gb is a lot of canned meat.