Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Idea Depository & Connection Facility

rillanirillani Administrator
edited July 2014 in Works In Progress
Post here about character ideas you are considering, and to discuss possible connections to other characters.

Rill
Umbida Oba: Human coffee house owner.  Stout and braided lady.  Located near Thul'Amat, her coffee house is a meeting place for intellectuals, artists, poets and politicians.  She sees herself as a patron of the arts, in her own way, by providing space and making introductions.  Every evening has some form of live entertainment, and artists' works decorate the walls, available for purchase.  She makes a point to remember the names and faces of her customers, and will chat with anyone.
Tagged:

Comments

• SularSular Member
    Faraji Berhanu: A former scholar of political theory at Thul Amat and now a minor member of the Assembly representing one of the neighborhoods in either the district of Hlunn or possibly Seven Lanterns. Faraji is a member of the Brotherhood of the Crocus but of the slightly more progressive branch known as the Purple Crocuses.  He might hang around Umbida's coffee house plotting strategy over coffee and wine and musing on how much better the city would be if only something could ever get done. 
  • edited July 2014
    Suhayl Ayo Ch’au Itri: Male Wick (25). Purveyor of illegal goods (courier on the surface/fence in reality) and aspiring airship pirate (as in wanting to round up a crew and captain a ship, so that means there's plenty of room for some PC friends. Anyone?). 

Born on the Muluku Islands, his family and/or particular tribe were heavily involved in the shipping part of the spice trade (need details here; perhaps there was already an underground element ... hence current career and aspirations). Lost mother to plague in 2706; eventually spurred decision to move to Thul'ka.

No concept of personal space. 

Loose interpretation of personal property. 

In Thul'Ka for obvious reasons: couriering/fencing, connections, coffee, crew, airship theft. Still misses jungle life, however.
  • JaderGaderJaderGader Member
    edited July 2014
    Two ideas I've had, which obviously will need fleshing out:

--Ellen “Ellie” Leone, f, 24yo. Anaxi galdori refugee working in a coffee shop in Deja Point. Came to Mugroba with her parents (mother: botanist; father: professor of ecology) and elderly aunt from the Bodecca district of Brunnhold. They were wealthy enough to get the heck outta dodge, but after losing all their resources to the expense of travel during an exodus, setting up house in a Little Anaxas, and a subsequent mugging and robbery, they had a handful of change before they were dead broke. Ellie had to give up on becoming a professor like her father and just find work that paid real money.

--Amadi Osei, m, 30yo. wick from the Nanthi tribe (loom mechanic/weaver) (jovial, fairly big fella with quick, light hands) Name means “seemed destined to die at birth.” This one is needing more fleshing out before anything else happens, but I'm thinking talented wick weaver comes to the big city.

I may throw a couple more ideas around before I settle, but I like what I have started...
  • caporushescaporushes Member, Moderator
    edited July 2014
    I got a nameless golly scholar, about 27 and of absolutely no repute whatsoever. He specializes in an area that nobody cares about, is from a family of middling-to-high income and is the younger of a set of fraternal twins. His sister is definitely the more interesting person in everyone's estimation, but he doesn't mind. Hella gay, kinda gawky, glasses that make him look like an owl in a not particularly flattering way.

NO WAIT I GOT A NAME: Kato Kwabena Kiote
  • MochiMochi Member, Moderator
    capo, kato sounds hella adorable.

i'm carrying over one character but i do have an idea for a travelling wick merchant from a bethaj band that was decimated by the plague, named Sahar Sabi or something along those lines, i haven't quite decided. i may also make a golly, but i've no concrete ideas on that yet.
  • So my idea is going to be for a married galdori couple. Playing both parts because, eh, you know how i have a penchant for playing my characters families meself as npcs so i may as well make both these guys playable right off the bat.

First we have Msrah Mi Mulugeta, 38 years old, ruthlessly ambitious politician- member of the Bull Elephant party most likely though he'd probably take whatever side of the argument he felt might gain the most traction. of no real name and standing, he watched his father claw respectability for the family name doing the one thing that marks out the mulugetas: selling. selling an idea and a lifestyle more than a product, doing excellent business before it was decided the eldest son of the family should turn to politics. Msrah sells too, his image, his slick persona built on false promises. The common man seems to love him and his PR tactics but other truer politicians are not so convinced.

The fly in his ointment though might be his wife, Chione. A stunningly pretty 28 year old woman with Muluku blood and excellent lineage like a prize brood mare. She should have been the smiling wife content to look pretty, give him sons and do her duty but she is not co-operating. A shrewd statician in her own right Chione is bitter with a wild streak and tar black periods of depression. Theres no love between this couple, Chione resents her marriage and her young daughter (now three), secretly taking birth control so she wont have to have another and even more secretly and dangerously yearning for the love of other women.
  • Ok, this one came to me while reading Tif's description of the Turtle:

Lidya Keziah, f, 28yo. Imbali living on the Way of the Book on the Turtle, sells lies and excuses by day and writes scandalous novels by night under the pen name “Mare Chandat” (“My Honey”, “Fierce/Hot/Passionate”). Born the only child to an otherwise large Traditionalist family of vanilla merchants, Lidya grew up spoiled. In a fit of rebellion in her late teens, she moved in with a boyfriend on the Way of the Book, where she spent her time translating their romantic exploits into spicy novels and paperbacks. Now in her late 20’s, married to that teen flame, and with a rugrat of her own, Lidya is not the rebel she was, but still makes her living on that same old spice: selling lies by day and writing passion at night.
  • SularSular Member
    edited July 2014
    Knit. First off hello and so forth. Secondly, I like the idea of the politician and his wife. Thirdly, if you have any ideas on the history and positions of the Bull Elephant Party, I'd love to hear them.  Beyond a sort of general harumphish bellicosity and mild xenophobia I can't say I have any really ideas for them.  
  • messaged you with some ideas :D
  • Morag Member
    Well here's what I've come up with so far for a character:

Galdor born and raised in Anaxis of Mugrobi heritage. Has some relations in Thul Ka he is currently staying with. His parents are anthropologists who have been studying some of the ruins in northern Anaxis. They've chosen to stay in the area and try to get a grant from the university at Thul Ka now that Brunnhold is more of a fortress.

Former history TA to the professor of early Anaxi studies, he left his position at his parents' behest after the first battle of Brunnhold. He lived with his parents for a while in a small northern Anaxi town, but they wished for their son to pursue his studies in a country less turbulent, so they sent him to his father's sister and her family.

Now in Thul Ka everything is familiar but foreign. He grew up eating food and celebrating holidays from this land and he knew the language before he could speak a word of Estuan. Still, he feels the sting of culture shock in the home of his aunt and uncle and cousins.

He's currently working at [ ] to make some money and not feel idle but it's part-time work. His aunt is always trying to push him to go exploring the city and learn now to be properly Mugrobi.

Meanwhile he keeps looking for work at a school or university and tries not to worry too hard that letters from his parents take so long to reach him. Those memories of the first battle of Brunnhold still stick in his head.
  • edited July 2014
    Iyoas Tar'iku Anaf Roh: Oshoor bookbinder/printmaker/lithographer/spellwriter. 31. Turtle resident on the Way of the Book (duh). More to come here. I just had to get that part out of my head.
  • Char Member
    edited July 2014

No name for this one yet:

A human woman, 29, burglar/robber/thug. Pretty smart and she's no stranger to getting by by any means necessary. She will sometimes put on an act to get what she wants out of people and she can be quite dangerous - I feel like she's probably shivved a person or two for money.

She's a private person, avoids revealing too much about herself to someone unless she has come to know them well. Though she's quite comfortable talking to others in general, there are only a few people around who would ever see her really laugh at something. She has little patience for carelessness and takes pride in her work.She's well connected in the low-mid ranks of the criminal world and is willing to work with or for others for the right price.