Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[R6, Morning, Civic Assembly] Introductions [Knitting]

Rush Member
edited August 2014 in Thul Ka
Gelila did not want to remember what she heard in Futo Finfinne Wolayta's office. The Chief Whip had said some of the most savage things she'd ever heard. These words mostly involved threats on her body for not proving herself to the party. He evened threatened to cut off her breasts and feed them to rabid dogs. It took all of her patience and power not to slap the beast of a man, but she realized that it would not be good for her political career.

As she paced down the busy Assembly hallway, she began to rationalize the words that came out of his mouth. He was obviously under stress. The other parties were breathing down his neck and making sure his life was hell. At least, that's what she told herself. And, in some ways, he was right. She needed to prove herself to the party. The minor scandal that had rocked the party after her former boss was found out to be a perverse monster could have easily been avoided if she had kept a better eye on him and his appointments. But that wasn't what she needed on her mind right now. Her mind needed to be on the future.

Oddly enough, as she walked forward, her future looked pretty dim. The hallway went deeper into the building away from the natural light. The lights around this area seemed to be covered in dust and less taken care of than the ones near the office of the Chief Whip. She tried to push this out of her mind. Sure, her knew boss wasn't in charge of a game changing district. Sure, he had only been an elected official for a few years. That didn't mean anything though. Every cog in the machine made it turn. From the lowliest dura to the emperor himself, they all made Mugroba turn. 

The metaphor brightened her mood slightly and she began to think about all the good things she heard about the person she now worked under. He had been known to win in landslides; even the simplest of people liked his policies. And she couldn't forget what she heard about his appearance. They said his smile brightened the room and even crying babies stopped when he touched them. Most of this was probably hearsay, but in Mugroba most of the rumors about a politician were dirty and horrible. If these are what people said about him, he probably wasn't as monstrous as some of the other politicians in the assembly.

Being stuck in her mind made the walk from the more beautiful to the dingier parts of the Civic Assembly go by quicker than it should have. Finally, she found herself in front of the office door of her new boss. The small, but solid, door was obviously older than many of the other parts of the Civic Assembly. On it was a golden plaque that read 'Msrah Mi Mulugeta'. She took a deep breath and knocked.

There was no answer.

Comments

• knittingknitting Member
    edited August 2014

There was no answer, for Msrah too was coming up the corridor, dressed in loose garb with detailing in the same dark blue as his eyes. About him, obviously, was two other Elephant Members and they took the corridor in their stride, muttering with one another as they tore towards the office at an aggressive sort of pace. 

“Why in Hulali’s name is he doing this to himself?” Msrah was saying angrily, at the front of these men. He was not the youngest but he was certainly the fittest of all of them, standing out as incredibly solid and quite powerful looking when next to waifish galdori if not the dura themselves. “What is he doing? I mean, honestly, we’re talking the lowest of the low basement subcommittees. We didn’t give him nearly enough rope to hang himself and what’s staggering to me is that he’s trying to do it anyway. It is as if I am watching a man try to erotically asphyxiate himself with a piece of... dental floss.”

More talk of fellow party members and elected officials, more running around and reports to be made and filed away. For every day that the Bulls Elephants made gains, some surprisingly good approval ratings in some new district, a bill passed through that they had championed there were more when they lost ground. Tripped up under slimy deals with other parties, got caught up in a scandal or made to look foolish. What Futo liked to angrily refer to as cock ups by the useless limp dicks in parliament. We’d have a better party candidate than half of you little desema bitches if I got my cock out and drew a face on it. 

“What’s this?” he demanded suddenly as he realised that there was a girl at his door. A young thing who seemed a little rattled, a little fragile. A little like a dandelion fluff of a person who’d get whisked away at the next shift in political winds. Msrah hadn’t been told he was getting a new aid of course, hadn’t realised that his was currently being booted up to some better part of the assembly because a little favour to do with documents that Futo wanted to keep a closed circle on at all costs. 

He tilted his head and looked at her in that way of his. That fixed warm stare that seemed to make the recipient feel as if they were the only person in the world for a few short minutes. He wondered who she belonged to and why they’d sent her. Here to deliver some file he needed to look at or report that everyone was getting their knickers into a twist over most likely. Girl assistants were rare so he assumed she belonged to a female Bull Elephant candidate. Only Msrah couldn’t actually think of any quite at the moment. 

The fixed stare didn’t last very long, however, his day was full. Msrah opened his door and indicated that she should follow him in. “This is going to be very fast. I don’t have much time. Pe'a, talk in verbs and nouns only. Precious little time for adjectives today.” 
  • Rush Member
    He was even more attractive than she would have imagined. Which was surprising since his build was similar to a human than a galdori. He was built like the dura that worked the fields, but his face wasn't worn from the sun like the people working outdoors. His skin was a sleek ebony that had a subtle glow and--why was she thinking about his features so in depth? It didn't matter. He was her knew boss and she had to like him, or at least tolerate him, whether he was the ugliest wretch or Hulali made flesh.

When he spoke, his voice slid out of his lips quickly and with reason. She could already tell this was a man that didn't speak unless he had something to say. Following him through the doorway she entered his office. Glancing around, she absorbed all she could. She would need to become familiar with everything in there if she was going to be a good assistant. Maybe if she had been more attentive at her last job, the scandal would have never happened. 

After a moment of taking everything in, she spoke: "Verbs and nouns? Good to know, Msrah Mi Mulugeta." A small smile appeared on her face. "I am Gelila Tuzita Zufon. Futo Finfinne Wolayta has sent me to be your new aid and assistant."
  • knittingknitting Member
    edited August 2014
    "Where is Ibiba?" he asked, frowning slightly at this news. He had settled into a comfortable rhythm with his last assistant, had managed to finally get him to a point where the other man in tune to the wants and needs of a man who was much to busy to worry over more of the little details that generally fell to one's aid. It was annoyingly close to his campaign to have to rely on someone green who didn't know anything about how he worked and what he expected from an assistant. 

More than that, he wondered if this was Futo's idea of a joke. Reminding him of Futo's belief he was the party pretty boy by fitting him out with a female assistant. See now po'ana, he could just imagine the other man grunting at him, I brought you someone to worry over your hair and dresses with you.

Msrah sighed, "No matter, Gelila Tuzita Zufon. One cannot stand in a stream and clutch onto flowing waters I suppose, only follow where it leads" Instead of sitting at his desk as one might for an interview, he only stood, arms crossed in a vaguely appraising manner. "You've been an assistant before I take it. Who for?" He just hoped the gods that she had because he couldn't stand to retrain someone else. Put a stack of the papers he'd been carrying on his arms down onto the desk, he continued, "I've got a committee meeting in," he glanced at the clock on the mantle, "five minutes. At the other side of the building. We'll walk and talk. I hope you like walking."

Not waiting for her, he strode off out of the door once again. "How is your shorthand? I need you to take notes. Send it off to the clerks and have a report drafted as soon as the meeting is finished." 

• Rush Member
    She hesitated, listening to all his questions and statements. Before she had time to answer, he was off. His stride was long and it took her a moment to catch up to the large galdori. But when she was finally walking next to him, she was ready to answer all his questions and began taking notes. She took out her authentic Mugrobi pocket notebook, produced right there in Thul Ka, and began to speak.

"I was formerly an assistant to a disgraced assemblyman," Gelila said. "Sleg. I am very sorrowful about the situation that arose around him." Her voice dropped and any noticeable joy left her face. "If it pleases you, I would like not to speak of it anymore than needed." With that, her face returned to the joyful facade that she had among the members of her party. 

The whole situation around her dissipation of Toro Rokuga Sleg's office was forever going to be a black mark on her record. She could already feel it. The details of the heinous things he had done had been kept secret even from her. She was sure Futo Finfinne Wolayta knew, hence his vicious anger and words over the situation. Part of her wanted to know what actually happened, but another part knew that if she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep a good nights sleep for the rest of her life. 

"And on the topic of my note taking: I am one of the greatest," she said with little humility. "It saved me plenty of times in school. What do you need me to write, sir?"
  • At the mention of her former employee a small flicker of recognition passed over his face as he watched her own darken. He'd heard the gossip and the whispers that grew and grew from this situation, warping into something that was probably quite far removed from the truth but had managed to stick all the same. Toro Rokuga Sleg had been a fool. Not just to get himself caught, but for putting himself in such a position. As far as Msrah saw it, men with large heads and fat eyes thought they could have their curry and eat it too but they could not. One only had to look at Msrah's physique to see he was disciplined. One had to make a choice in their life, the way he saw it. To have power or to surrender to baser temptations. He had little sympathy for those who could not exercise restraint. He'd been doing it for years. Ever since he'd been saddled with a cold, distant wretch for a wife. 

"Good," he said, turning to look at Gelila again with a small nod of his head as he appreciated her neat handling of the question. "That's a good line. Never speak more than that. To me, or anyone who might ask you." A closed lipped assistant was a useful one. But the look on her face showed that she had scruples, perhaps more than would serve her particularly well in this business. 

"When we get to the meeting. You'll take the notes for me since you claim to be one of the best," he chuckled a little. "I find that in this line of work one must represent himself like a stall marker in the markets. One cannot be simply claim to be good, one cannnot claim to be competent. He has to be the biggest and the brightest." A clearing of his throat as he looked at her. "Or she." He smiled at her warmly, but then looked away. It was the honey he was adding to the medicine.

"Tomorrow you will wear your hair tied up," he added. "You are representing me now, just as you are representing yourself. Appearance is the first tool in your arsenal, which I think you are already aware of." It was not usual for men to take note of a woman's clothes, Msrah knew that. But he took note of details like this, all details were important when it came to selling yourself. She dressed fashionably but perhaps a little conservatively- perhaps out of fear for her old degenerate charge? Not a stunningly pretty girl by most accounts, not like his wife who was the kind of woman who inspired poetry and songs, every inch of her in the Muluku island mold who's women were, generally accepted to be the most beautiful on Vita.

But gods, he'd had his fill of beautiful women. If he could have chosen all over again he would have surely gone with a smarter wife, one more like him and less...well there were many words to describe Chione and none of them were good. "Do not  worry, child.  I am no Toro Rokuga Sleg. That man had no more ambition than what lurked in his underwear, epa'ma for speaking so frankly, but there it is. While I," he allowed himself another smile as he looked her in the eye.

"I have ambitions that stretch to the farthest reaches of this city and beyond." 
  • Rush Member
    edited August 2014
    There was something almost radiant about his smile. It was a smile that swore it would never hurt you and that it only had the kindest of intentions. Sleg's smile was never like that. His smile was something wretched and offensive. She realized she was staring at his grin and immediately turned away and stared at the page of her notebook. 

She had absently already written things down. One said Hair - Up. At that moment she realized how messy it must have looked to the reserved gentlemen of the assembly. Her giant, blonde curls bouncing and billowing everywhere. Her former boss never said anything, but it seems his mind was preoccupied with other things. It would be a hassle to do, but if Msrah Mi Mulugeta wanted her hair up, it would be done. 

The other thing written on the paper was verbatim from what he had said. Be the biggest and brightest. This was such simple advice, truly. But it was perfect. Perfect for her, perfect for the city, and perfect for Mugroba. The nation was, and needed to stay, the bright star of Vita; no matter what. She imagined a day where the Anaxi pomposity was distinguished. It seemed to be approaching quickly, but it was still a ways off if the news from Brunnhold was true.

Finally, she spoke, after listening to everything the man had said. "Your advice rings true, Mulugeta. And, in all honesty, I am eager to hear about these ambitions you have for Thul Ka and the places beyond our border." Her own smile broadened as she she spoke. "I'm sure they're profound."
  • "Flattery. Also good," he said with a nod. "Also useful." They crossed through a few doors and out into another room where more men in robes were running across the corridors. The clock in the hall said that Msrah had only a few minutes before he would be required to get to his meeting. In truth he did not give the girl much thought, not yet, of anything past his assistant. He did not imagine her to be nursing any such political aspirations of her own, not beyond vaguely secretarial roles. At first he simply imagined that she had a father in the party, perhaps that she was bright and loved Mugroba more than anything. Eager, subservient. Seemed easy enough to handle and to get along with. 

"Tell me. How old are you? What school did you go to?" he asked, his tone suggesting interest though with Msrah it was unclear with how true these intentions were or whether he simply was after something to fill the time between these next few floors. And then, rather more sternly, "Futo explained to you, I hope where I keep my constituents. I hope you have a stomach for The Gripe." Women were more likely to complain, he knew that from his wife and whenever he had to cajole her into that place. Yes she could smile and do her duty but she let him know her displeasure at home. And they say politicians were all dishonest folk. That woman was the biggest liar of all. 
  • Rush Member
    He spoke quickly again. His brain seemingly moving faster than his lips. The questions came out faster than she realized and it took her a moment to fully comprehend what he had said. Her age? Her schooling? It seemed he wanted to know her history and commence in some minor small talk.  

"I'm twenty one, sir," she said timidly. She realized her age was not her best asset. Most politicians looked upon the young with, at best, confusion and, at worst, disdain. Especially young women. The Assembly didn't realize how much they owed to the women of Thul Ka. Besides being a large percentage of the vote, the various politically active women were persuasive individuals in their own circles. From the glassblowing dura's wife to the wife of an assemblyman. Women had a lot more clout than the men liked to think. 

"And I went to some well off, but small school in Hluun. It wasn't affiliated with Thul'Amat besides what everyone liked to think." She turned to face him and look into his eyes. "I focused on political science and the workings of government." 

Telling men, and some women, that she focused on something usually reserved to men made them confused. Most assumed it was only theoretical, but she was slowly showing the world that she planned on moving up in the world. And, in some way, controlling it. 

"And on the subject of The Gripe: I'll be fine," she said with a toothy grin.
  • "Of course you will," he returned shortly, as if she had very little choice in the matter. As they approached the committee meeting, a crowd of people had gathered. "Keep up and stay close to me," he murmured. But this was a place where assistance became invisible, part of the furniture of the committee so to speak. Lined up against the wall as the honorable elected members of the parliament took their places and the brouhaha was due to begin. The assembly was known as the Argument for a reason and smaller committees were no different, simply concentrated to smaller areas. Men came out of meetings hoarse on many occasions, the flat of their palms aching from slapping on tables, the blood coursing in their system and all the adrenaline up in their bodies.It was almost akin to going a few rounds in a boxing ring as far as Msrah saw it.  

Meetings end saw a few dinner plans made, a few overtures of violence set forward and saw him returned to his office were he began the business of drafting out letters. The day was dwindling down and though it was a late finish to the day, it looked to be as though he would not have to stay nearly as late as he often did. During times of mess and crisis the nights were long but it seemed as if he would have plenty of time to return home and fit in an evening run as he liked to do. Best to be making the most of it, he supposed. Now while he still could and the campaign trail didn't have him up til all hours, planning strategy, writing speeches, nailing down policy in the way that he liked to do. He sat at his desk, scratching pen and ink across paper in looping cursive and stole a glance at the clock.

Msrah's office was neat if not a little shabby, unpleasantly warm but he was used to that and there were few places honestly, about the civic assembly that did not heat up in such a way. There was little about the office that indicated much about the man himself; no funny little paperweight, statuettes or personalized pictures hanging in frames on the wall. It suggested a kind of insubstantial impermanence as if he had no intention of staying. As if this was his afterlife and he was intending to move onto a more permanent antelife very soon. The only real personalization came in the form of the picture of his little girl sitting at his desk and, perhaps tellingly, his wife was absent in this spectograph. 

"First day as my assistant, how did you find it?" he finally came out and ask, not looking up from his paper as he addressed Gelila.
  • Rush Member
    edited August 2014
    Her first day? Could she recount every emotion she felt since first walking through the ceremoniously large doors of the Assembly that morning? Probably not. From the anger and sadness Futo Finfinne Wolayta instilled in her to the exhaustion from listening to every councilor in the meeting, Gelila had felt more in that workday than she ever did when she worked under Sleg. 

Besides, it wasn't just emotions that stirred in her during her shadowing of Msrah Mi Mulugeta; it was also ideas.She saw how easily he spoke, even among screaming councilors. Taking threats, even threats against his own life, in stride and with a smile. It was truly astonishing. Where Gelila would have either caused physical harm or cry, Msrah simply smiled and delivered a calm response so disturbing that it made her skin crawl. She wanted to learn everything from this man.

After letting the question hang in the air for a second, she responded. 

"It was fine."