Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[R3 Early Morning, Liar's Market] Stranger than Fiction [Open]

edited July 2014 in Thul Ka

The sun's face had yet to peek over the tall walls of the Turtle, but the caravanserai of the Liar's Market was already a bustling place full of imbali merchants setting up their booths, tables, and wares for another hot day of selling the untruth for a well-bargained price. Rivals jostled for their favorite spots. Tents were decorated. Displays arranged. The cool of the night still clung to the long shadows cast by the walls and the dark clay buildings, but it would barely be another house before the baking heat would take over.

Iyoas hadn't bothered to sleep the night before, having been unwilling to quit sewing at sunset and eventually unable to retire once he knew morning was on it’s way. Instead he chose to gather his few Market deliveries for the day into a worn leather bag with the intention of beating the summer sun and the crowds.

He managed to remember to remove his apron and made an actual effort to smudge glue from his fingertips before slipping out the door of his shop, locking it carefully, and winding through his familiar alley to the Way that eventually ended at the caravanserai.

Comments

• JaderGaderJaderGader Member
    edited July 2014
    Lidya Keziah tugged at the cords that held her small stall's cover shut. It was still cool in her corner of the Market, where The Way of the Book joined the square, and she reveled in it while it lasted. She hefted Wubay in her sling and stood up, tying the canvas up at the corners of her tent and uncovering her sign:

Lidya Keziah
    Lies, Fibs, and Excuses
    Dirt Cheap!

The last line was, of course, a lie: her rates were practically the same as any other liar's in the Market. But that was the point, wasn't it?

Lidya wiped her hands and gave the canvas a tug to make sure it stayed in place, then picked up her bag and began setting up under her shelter. A book of excuses and starter-lies, a list of previous clients and numbered records of excuses that each had already bought from her in the past, a stack of various colors and types of envelopes, paper, and scrolls, were all brought out and neatly arranged on her desk. She was nearly finished when Wubay gave a squeal and launched herself toward a jar of writing implements.

Her daughter, a little over a year old and as round as her mother, had no uncertain amount of heft to her, and, despite being settled into a sling, her momentum swung Lidya forward. She put up one hand  to keep her daughter from slipping out and falling and the other to steady herself, knocking a stack of paper and records into the street.

"Magu--" she bit the curse off with a glance at her daughter and sighed. Lidya used to swear like a dockworker, but with Wubay picking up words and repeating them... well, she had to catch herself.

She sighed again and trotted out into the street to gather her paper before it was blown away or trampled into the dust.
  • edited July 2014

One of the advantages of getting up before the sun for Iyoas was the opportunity to eat the delicious first fruits from any number of little eateries that tucked themselves in between the stores on the Way of the Book and on the outskirts of the Liar’s Market. Today was less fruit and more fresh-off-the-stone flat bread, slathered in goat cheese, topped with stuffed dates, and drizzled in honey. It was perhaps an admitted favorite for the oshoor and while the slightly younger, attractive imbala lady who ran the hole-in-the-wall bakery hardly gave the bookbinder the time of day under the shadow of his field, she at least knew his name and smiled at him on occasion when handing over his breakfast. Something was better than nothing.

Heat was settling its heavy weight onto the Market by the time Iyoas passed through one of the clay tunnel-like entrances, meandering now, still licking honey from one hand as he tried to remember the location of his deliveries: one small stack of gilt-edged false certificates; a new binding for an old, rather saucy but somewhat rambling treatise on techniques necessary to maintain more than one mistress; and a handful of folded, stitched pamphlets on cheating your customers with hollow weights.

Light work, really, but it was work nonetheless.

He’d just spotted the first of his clients unloading goods off of his overfed, flighty moa and into his stall when a flurry of papers assaulted his person and immediately littered the ground at his feet. It was only with a bit of ungraceful stumbling that he avoided stepping on any of them and only with a bit of pure dumb luck that he further avoided crashing into the dark blur of a woman who appeared to be chasing them, delightedly squealing baby in tow.

“For flood’s sake!”

The tall bookbinder grumbled loudly in surprize, despite the fact that he immediately began snatching parchment from the air and collecting them into a neat stack out of ingrained habit instead of an actual desire to be helpful, “Poa’na, surely you don’t sell real dirt--”

The rest of his words were drown out by a crash and some more unwelcome cursing.

The squealing and shouting were apparently too much for Jaffa Yobe’s old dumb moa. With a squawk, the portly brown bird of burden yanked himself free of the lie merchant’s hands and took off into aisles of the caravanserai, knocking over people and goods and stands alike.

• Gathering sheets into a stack, she muttered a "Ha ha, very funny, Wubi," to her giggling girl before turning to acknowledge the stranger's comment or assistance. As she lifted her head to do so, she was distracted by the commotion. She watched briefly as the moa darted away and gave a snort.

"Looks like everyone's off to a rough start today, eh?" She said to the stranger, turning to him. It was then that she noticed the hairs standing up on the back of her neck, noticed the field practically pouring from the man in front of her. Oshoor. She cleared her throat and looked away, breaking eye contact. She held out her hand for the papers he held, "Ah, thank you."
  • edited July 2014

Ea, but it’s still early...” Iyoas offered with a grin, flapping his free hand vigorously, one loose leaf still stuck to the leftover breakfast on his fingers. His freckled countenance faltered once the shorter imbala looked away--he knew why--but her hand was still outstretched for his stack of her rescued belongings.

Pressing parchment into her waiting grasp while moa squawks and a few more choice curses rang out across the Market, the bookbinder chose to catch the gaze of little Wubay instead. Too young to have the same prejudices, though young enough to still be raised into them, his wink was nonetheless rewarded with a wide grin and some completely unbiased gurgling laughter,

“...Things could get better.”

He added quietly, making faces at Lidya’s babe instead of forcing the imbala into any uncomfortable eye contact, words less of a social statement than they may have sounded. A few aisles away, the escaped bird had obviously been captured. Iyoas’ customer would eventually return to his stall with the beast, grumpy and covered in sand and downy fluff. He would probably try to cheat the printmaker out of the other half of his payment, too, the greasy jerk.

One last sheet of parchment, a little stickier than it had been, was finally held out in her direction.

• Lidya shuffled the paper into the stack in her arms. She flinched at the sound of shattering glass somewhere in the wake of the moa, then internally flinched watching Wubay give a chubby-fisted wave and grin at the man. To her, he was just somebody else to discover, a new friend to make. 

“...Things could get better.”

Various thoughts darted through her head, some warning her, some reminiscent of things she had argued with her husband only a few nights before, If she turns out oshoor, she's still our child, not a monster! The man had, after all, stopped to help her without her even asking, of his own volition. Surely that counted for something?

"I'm Lidya," she said, before she could lose her grit for it, "Lidya Keziah. And this is Wubay."

She took the sticky parchment from his hand and passed it to Wubay. She couldn't use it with the spots on it, and her daughter would enjoy the sound of it crunching in her hands.
  • edited August 2014

Now probably wasn't a good time to let Lidya know that he wasn't necessarily the most unfortunate member of his family. The jury was out in this lifetime as to whether it was himself or his sister. That was not, however, the best line of conversation with strangers who already appeared to be quite a bit unsure of his existence in the first place. No, he managed to win a bit of eye contact from the imbala woman, and that was a small victory. He offered a crooked slightly wan smile, aware of the tentative nature of nearly all his social interactions,

"Ma'ralio, Lidya Kezia. My name's Iyoas," he said simply, assuming hardly anyone who was nervous under the pretense of his field any sincere interest in really knowing another syllable after his first name. He no longer had family to speak of, other than his sister who'd freed herself from any connection and run to Thul'Amat within heartbeats of being accepted. With more than one good reason to pack up in her suitcase and lug with her, that was for flooding sure, "I'm a printer and bookbinder."

Lagoon blue eyes snuck another goofy glance in the direction of Wubay in acknowledgement of her name before he nodded in the direction of Lidya's set-up in the Market, noting her writing implements and knowing the paper he'd just helped reassemble into a usable stack, "You're a writer, then?"

• "Ah, yes," she said, glancing back. She made herself continue, trying to keep up what would be a normal enough conversation with anyone else, "Lies and excuses, mostly. I do some other writing in the evenings." 

She glanced at Wubay and cleared her throat, "Not necessarily for little ears, you know."

She searched briefly for something else to say before latching onto his profession, "What kind of books do you print, if I may ask? I am a fairly avid reader."
  • edited August 2014

There were plenty of things that went on in the Liar’s Market or along the Way of the Book that were not necessarily for little ears, and the bookbinder didn’t need to read between the lines as Lidya spoke. Lines were often heavy with leading (and more than just in a printmaking sense).

Iyoas’ grin turned into more of a lopsided smirk at the shorter, darker woman’s question, “Honestly?” There were so many things wrong (and right) about using that word, “Too many political publications, these days. Everyone’s got an opinion, you know. But they pay. I print some other … uh … side projects as well ...” They paid better, obviously, but were more like oases in the desert.

The tall half-blood trailed off there, less sticky hand straying to rub the back of his freckled neck, unwilling to go into details about his occasional magical publications, “If I had my time in the shade, I’d much rather be printing for independent folks …”

Every small project he’d printed had been admittedly enjoyable. Hand-setting type for poetry, even the steamy sort, gave Iyoas more creative licence than any thick, opinionated tome by some other imbali intellectual.

“I’m sure they’d like their voices heard over the flooding government clamor.” Iyoas glanced back at his customer’s stall across the aisle, wondering if the man would return with his beast, but not in a hurry to barter over the rest of his payment owed. Conversation, however reluctant Lidya may have been, was still conversation the printmaker didn’t normally get to enjoy,

“Who have you been reading lately? Anything good?”

• Lidya nodded at his comments, internally agreeing that she'd rather read almost anything than the political dross that filtered its way through the city. Since most of it passed through The Turtle to begin with, she knew better than to trust any of it, anyway. And most of the politicians were desemi to begin with, too.

But when he asked about what she had been reading, well. Now she felt on much firmer ground, "Oh, whatever I can get in, really. I haven't been able to buy anything new lately, so I've read some of my old favorites most recently. A couple of the earlier Sagra books that I've always loved. A retelling of the Kahirashiba story a friend of mine wrote. She says it's not ready for publication yet, but I can't see why, it's really quite good. 

"Then, of course, whatever Wubay brings me," she said, ruffling her daughter's hair. "Somehow she's taken a liking to The Good Farmer's Son, though I'm not even sure how we wound up with a copy of it," she shrugged, "But it does have some lovely color plates."

She grinned naturally, lighting up her round face. She had almost completely forgotten who she was talking to, and fell into a much more casual stance. Less tense. Less wary.
  • What little social graces the oshoor had managed to gather in life were well-practiced, if only because the very nature of his existence made it difficult to make and keep friendships closer than arms’ length, if not even further. They were honed by survival instincts and pure need, even though by all accounts save his magical abilities, he was just another imbala hoping to get by. Only, he wasn’t. Or he was, depending on who you asked, anyway.

Lagoon blue eyes did not miss as the imbala woman relaxed in spite of the weight of his field, watching the excited glow spread across her much darker features as she spoke about a love he whole-heartedly agreed with: books. The tall printmaker’s shoulders softened their angle, supporting his burdened satchel of carefully wrapped deliveries, and he shifted his hips just so, settling into the warm sand to listen with a smile even as small rivulets of sweat began to trace their way down his creamed coffee skin in the heat of the Market.

He knew his hold on her attention was tenuous at best, a cool breeze hours before the sun set, so he acted quickly,

”The colored plate editions of The Good Farmer’s Son are very rare, as far as I know. Hang on to the one you have; it should make a pleasing heirloom for all your lovely future generations.” Iyoas offered another somewhat silly grin in Wubay’s direction for emphasis, though he was obviously speaking to Lidya, “I like the sound of that retelling. Should your friend decide she’s ready for a first edition …”

The freckled printmaker returned his gaze to the shorter woman, with a teasing tone and a more lopsided smile, never one to shy away from free advertising, “...I might know someone who is more than capable of putting such a story together in print properly.”

Whether he was implying himself or someone else wasn’t entirely clear, though he wasn’t about to pressure a stranger unsure of his value.

• "Ea, I could encourage her to do something with it, perhaps, if I knew of a printer who was worth encouraging her to go to," she said slyly, "I could always recommend the shop where my husband works, Ra Press. Though, I don't know if it would be worth her while, as they don't always do novels justice."

She wiped her brow, which was beginning to glisten, and paused. The heat was starting to come down now, and even as much as she was enjoying the conversation, it would not be long before she would need to take shelter in her stall for the day. 

"Even so, I would have to see something that impressed me to send her elsewhere," she raised an eyebrow, her expression teasing for more information. 
  • Iyoas sniffed, freckled face curling into something thoughtful as he ran through the canals of his memory to place the name Lidya so obviously dropped between them with the full intention of bargaining with his skillset. The tall half-Mug exhaled through white teeth, lagoon blue eyes narrowing with an interested shrewdness,

“Mmm. Well, if your friend had toiled over composing some dry as the dunes historical tome filled with long words all lined up in a row, then perhaps, yes, she’d find herself in need of your husband’s work.” It wasn’t an insult, per se, but neither was it entirely a complement. Someone had to do the laborious work of large blocks of text. That someone was preferrably not himself, “But as her work is prose, she’d most likely be much more pleased with a printmaker such as myself whose hands were practiced setting blooms in the desert with type whenever it is needed.”

The printmaker offered a warm smile to his overly flourished speech, easing like water into a more comfortable bartering state of mind. As long as he wasn’t defending his heritage, talking about his work was indeed a matter of personal, creative pride. Hands produced a wrapped volume from under the flap of his satchel: one of his deliveries, the saucy book of prose perhaps not appropriate reading for a child but still a sample of his meticulous typesetting and stitch work for the spine,

“If Jaffa Yura ever makes it back with his moa, I’m sure he’d be happy to agree over the quality of my craftsmanship. At least let me make sure he pays, though, before too much sweetness pours from his withered lips.”

• Lidya listened with her Business Face on. She took no offense to the comment about Ra Press or her husband; this was all a matter of business, of course, and just matter-of-fact. It was the dance they all did in the markets and caravanserai. She gave no indication whether she was impressed or not with his advertising. He had a way of words, she admitted, but that wasn't his job, per se, now was it?

But she couldn't help a little spark in her eye as he pulled out the book. Wrapped as it was, she couldn't see the volume, but she always got a little excited about new books. Old books had a quality about them that bespoke their age and beloved qualities. But new books had a smell-- the ink, the paper, the leather-- that was all promise. A promise of lands undiscovered, perhaps, or of new ideas or passions. But promise

Lidya understood the etiquette of delivering an order and that she oughtn't ask to see it before the customer had done so, but her fingers itched to take it from his hands and pull back the paper to reveal the tome beneath.

"Of course," she said impartially, "But I still cannot recommend work I have not seen with my own eyes. Even Jaffa Yura is not above false praise," she chuckled.

"But I must order my stall in case a customer arrives. Perhaps you would like to wait in the shade until he returns?" Lidya indicated her little shop. It was not large-- she did not need much space-- but it was big enough for a few to get out of the sun.
  • edited August 2014

“There’s very little the less-than-honorable Yura is above, at least in my narrow but experienced opinion. If it wasn’t for his usually more jovial moa, he would most likely crawl about on his belly more often than not.” Admitted Iyoas dryly, even as the sun began to peek above the outer wall of the Turtle. Folks would gradually trickle in from Thul’Ka proper, some more reluctant than others. Most of them only made it into the Liar’s Market, a handful made it as far as the Way of the Book, and anyone who explored further was surely an imbali or else they had little right to be there.

“I appreciate your kind offer, Lidya Keziah, and the shade will be a most welcome respite already.”

The half-blooded bookbinder understood that Lidya made her living in the Liar’s Market, that she had at least one mouth to feed, if not more, and that there was no opportunity for fresh business if one picked the flowers instead of waited for the fruit. He returned Yura’s book to it’s place with his other packages with an agreeable roll of his narrow shoulders, finding somewhere out of the way to stand in the shade that didn’t make him look like he was a customer or make him into an object of too much annoyance.

Iyoas did hope it wouldn’t be too long before Yura returned. The man was most likely paying those whom he had offended or those whom his moa had ruined their wares. If the man talked too much, it would take longer than necessary. The printmaker decided to keep up conversation instead of gnawing the inside of his cheek with impatience,

“Is your husband also preparing for Poster Day? Does he also offer his services to those who pretend to serve our beautiful Thul’Ka as a whole?”

• JaderGaderJaderGader Member
    edited August 2014
    Lidya chuckled at his comment about Yura. She had as much experience with Yura as almost anyone else in the Market; the man and his moa made frequent impressions on the surrounding merchants.

She bowed the oshoor into her stall, finding that the longer she deliberately kept up her usual customary habits the easier it was to not notice his field. She then went about ordering her papers again, Wubay now content to crumple her sheet of parchment and not lunge for other objects on her desk.

“Is your husband also preparing for Poster Day? Does he also offer his services to those who pretend to serve our beautiful Thul’Ka as a whole?”

"I don't think Ra ever turns down a job that pays," she answered over her shuffling, "I think they have been printing posters since the twenty-eighth. I would suppose that they are printing something for every party, as many reams as he says they have gone through," she laughed ruefully, "But it's just as likely they only bagged one candidate and they are narcissistic enough to have asked for them all!"