Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[R1 evening, Umbida's] Quiet Night [Open]

Comments

• edited July 2014

Onja arati upa chiji liera ... began the joke in his mind as Iyoas polished off his bowl of spiced stewed goat, watching the three galdori settle into the table closest to his own, wine, glasses, lizard and all the weight of their fields. It had the beginnings of a good joke, indeed, especially once the tallest one announced himself a Councilor.

He raised his spoon quickly to attract Umbida's attention before she made her way back to the bar in the hopes of procuring a second mug of coffee, dragging his curious gaze away from the trio to the human woman. There was still ink under his fingernails as he offered the mug in her direction with the hint of a crooked smile,

"A bit more coffee here, pe'a?"

It tasted better outside the Turtle, anyway.

• rillanirillani Administrator
    "The special!  I'll get that right out to you."  Umbida was about to bustle off when she saw a flash of silver in the corner of her eye. She grinned and scooped up Iyoas' mug.  "And another coffee for you!"

She walked backward, perfectly navigating the tables.  "Make yourselves comfortable, boys.  The cheese nibbles may take a few minutes to fry, come to think of it..."
  • SularSular Member
    "Election?" Faraji poured the wine. "In point of fact I am running. Though if you ask me tonight, I'll not be able to tell you why." He recalled the today's endless waiting on procedural minutiae, perfectly calculated to induce an impotent rage in quite a few councilors who had somehow raised the ire of the Continuing Committee. He wondered what the others had done to deserve to wait so long for their voices to be recognized in the debate. Of his own failings he was perfectly aware. Privately he could not really blame the Committee for its displeasure, he had failed to back a number of votes recently. The measures were destined to fail in any event, and he saw no need to stand on the sinking ship of principle for minor issues. It had been a calculated risk and he has calculated wrongly. Still it irked him that this was the form the retribution took.

He finished pouring the wine and, in what he considered to be clever means of determining the politics of the two gentlemen now at his table, raised his glass and proposed the tradition toast of the Crocus.  "Gentlemen. To a prosperous city and trade's increase." 
  • caporushescaporushes Member, Moderator
    Kato raised his glass with some sort of murmur that he hoped sounded appropriately favorable. He then took a deep gulp of it. The wine was good, though Kato wasn't much of one for alcohol of any kind. Simply had no head for it. Unfortunately, he had the rather tragic habit of putting food or drink in his mouth when he felt uncomfortable. Since the nibbles would, by Umbida's own estimation, take a few minutes to prepare, that left him with the wine.

"Is it odd?" He considered Richard gravely. He didn't, if one were to ask, actually know what the name meant or where it had come from. He had read it in a book of Anaxi history, but hadn't really connected the name to any particular figure. He never did do very well in classes that didn't have any equations in them. Richard returned his regard, her beady lizard eyes fixing on him in what he hoped was an affectionate way. You never really could tell, with lizards-- they were terribly unlike other mammals. He'd thought that might make her an easier pet to keep, but it seemed to be having the opposite effect. Kato was fond of her though, even if she was ill behaved.
  • MochiMochi Member, Moderator
    Whether or not Afe had caught on to Faraji's stealthy attempt to discover their political leanings or not was unclear. He offered a more casual toast, and an agreeable nod and smile with it. 

"And to your campaign, as well, Councillor," he added politely. 

He took a small drink and sett the glass down. He did not have much interest in becoming terribly intoxicated, not with hours of lesson plans to still sort out. He watched as Umbida walked away, looking to the other gentleman in the cafe with them as he spoke, then turning his attention back to the table.

"I believe it's a male name in Anaxas," he said, replying to Kato's query, "I seem to remember attending school with one or more Richards. Not that it should matter as far as pets go. It suits her."
  • The half-blooded bookbinder slid his bowl away and leaned back in his chair, fiddling absently with his spoon as he waited for the return of his coffee. Iyoas was content to listen, to eavesdrop, on the three arati and the strangely endearing lizard for the moment.

It wasn’t often he left the Turtle for an entire day, and if he was going to make the most of it, he might as well catch the last cableway back for the night. They were usually less crowded at that hour, anyway. Nothing stuck out more than an arata walking the wrong way over the Bridge of Discernment at some odd hour of the night ...

Not that he considered himself the same—

A crooked smirk smugly crept its way across his freckled features at the toast, lagoon blue eyes curiously lingering on the Councilor as if trying to discern his political leaning, before washing over the other faces at the table he sat so close to.

Then—distracted and perhaps already full of too much coffee—his spoon slipped from his fingers toward the floor and as he reached for it, he only managed to knock his empty bowl off the table and make an awkward, noisy fool of himself instead.

Well, that was that. Maybe no one would notice.

• SularSular Member
    edited August 2014
    It would have been impolite to notice and Faraji, being nothing if not polite, failed to notice with spectacular grace.Instead he sipped his wine contemplatively and returned his attention to the conversation at hand which appeared to be about lizards. He wasn't sure of he could learn anything from lizards, nothing useful to his own purposes at any rate.  

"I think you're correct," he said rather abstractedly.  "About Richard being a male name I mean. I was speaking with an Anaxi with some outlandish name or other, and she mentioned a man of her acquaintance named Richard." He took another sip of his wine. It really was good. "I should have a better handle on Anaxi names than I do, but I've only recently bothered with them. The revolution and all. It's a facinating subject."  

Kato was not nearly as polite as Faraji, having frankly much less grace with other people in general. Which is why he had a leira to talk to and not actual people friends. For a moment Kato openly stared, before he caught himself and hastily whipped his face back to the group at his table. 

"I suppose you both must be right." He agreed rather hastily, with no desire to explore the topic further. Of course, he didn't really know what other topic to pursue. "I think it's too late to change her name now, though, I dare say..." Nervously he craned his neck around looking for Umbida. Where were those nibbles? He took another deep sip of wine and felt quite dizzy for his troubles.
    Umbida burst out of the kitchen, a plate of nibbles in one hand and a few menus tucked under her other arm.  She sped to the councilor's table with a worried smile.

"Epa'ma, friends!  The menu just switched over today for flood season.  Chef's brain is scrambled like an egg..." She dealt out the menus like cards before placing the nibbles in front of Kato. "And by the way, chef's peppered egg soup is the best in town, remember that on Flood's Eve!"

She laughed at her own self.  "If you'd like anything else, just make a peep."
  • MochiMochi Member, Moderator
    Afe, of course, had also elected to ignore the other gentleman's noisy accident and save him the embarrassment of everyone else in the establishment turning to stare at him. As he was about to reply to Kato again, Umbida emerged. He blinked up at the jolly woman as she deposited a rather enticing-smelling plate in front of Kato and handed menus out to the table. The smell of the food reminded him that it had been quite a while since he had last eaten. He supposed he had forgotten amidst the stacks of lesson plans he had been up to his nose in. He sipped his wine as he considered the offered selection.

"Ah, I wouldn't mind a bowl of the melon gazpacho," he said politely as she asked if they would like anything else, "I think it would go nicely with the wine."
  • Flood's Eve. The Good God could drown that as well. He'd been delaying, hemming and hawing, and generally attending to every other matter but the campaign, but the mention of Flood's Eve, of Poster Night, brought the whole thing into sharp and unwelcome focus. He'd done so little on the public aspect of his campaign it was frankly embarrassing, but then he was not really cut out for campaigning. At least, not for himself. 

"Umbida, gentlemen, I hate to impose, but would any of you happen to have the name of a reputable printer?"

• edited August 2014

Whether it was the lack of a fresh cup of coffee or the word printer rolling off the jovial politician’s lips, Iyoas ceased his somewhat clumsy, jittery fumbling over the mess he’d made of his own table. It was probably an unspoken kindness of Umbida to cut him off so soon, as if the human woman somehow was privy to knowing more of himself than he did by the sheer volume of her experience with so many customers. Still, his face fell for a moment, like pulp poured into a mould before it became paper, soft at its freckled edges. He shifted in his seat, knees scraping against the underside of the tabletop, long hands folding together so he could rest his chin on them, staring openly now, lagoon blue eyes filled with far less shame than Kato's brief glance in his direction had been previously.

He’d speak up, sure, in a breath or two--volunteer even--considering Poster Day was but a handful of sleepless nights away and such work tended to sustain his financial needs for almost a third of the year. Whatever blather they wanted, he’d carefully craft the typography by hand and press ink into paper. It didn’t matter. None of the half-empty words to get more votes under the sheets of those in power ever concerned his cause, not really. He wasn’t getting any of his own skin-warmed nights as a reward.

The half-blooded printmaker was reputable enough, as long as his own well-weighted field didn’t tangle him up in any racial slurs or flooding superstitions, arati who found themselves piecing the parts of his genetic history together tended to get themselves tangled over their various oveka opinions. He was already aware of being a frog among turtles, so to speak. At least until his tongue gave him away. Once he spoke, there was little he could do to hide his subtle differences in annunciation from his more authentic-bred peers.

But first, he wanted to hear their suggestions, if any. What were the names of his competitors this year? Were they of any true consequence?

Once satisfied, he’d happily slide his own chair over with a long leg and an easy stride, wordlessly finding his fingers on the three arati’s own wine bottle to help himself with a straight-toothed grin, the ink under his fingernails his own prelude as he prepared an introduction.

It was with both great relief and much gusto that Kato dug into the plate the proprietress set before him. It wasn't so much that he was hungry as he needed to occupy his attentions.

"I--" and here he swallowed, having realized there was still food in his mouth-- "I'm afraid I don't know of any..." He shrugged helplessly. It didn't often come up in his line of work. "Actuarial sciences, you know..." He was mumbling. Time for another nibble. He gestured a bit at the plate. "P-please take a few if you'd like... They're very good."
    Umbida saw Iyoas' ears perk up like a bander pup's at mealtime.  She grinned easily and said, "Why I believe Iyoas Tar'iku Esef Roh here is a printer.. do I have that right?"

Gliding to the lone man's table, she picked up the empty bowl and.. empty.. cup.  "Ellie!  Where's that coffee!"
  • edited August 2014

Suddenly made aware of his immediate necessity in actual conversation, Iyoas inhaled sharply at the sound of his name on Umbida’s lips. No listening in on competition now, the oshoor offered a friendly, lopsided smile even as he traced his fingers over the worn wood of his table, gestures without words that simply looked like more fidgeting instead of anything of meaning. From his current distance, that little party of arati surely hadn’t been paying attention to any more of him than his twitchy foolishness, and so as he sucked in the warm, spice- and coffee-laden air of the cafe, he also sucked in his field, mona gathering tightly against his lanky person in almost lazy compliance to the motions of his hands. The sensation was not unlike trying to squeeze oneself into pants that were too small or taking that last bite of food at the end of a ten course meal in order to not offend your generous host.

It was uncomfortable, but at the same time, it was perhaps the better part of valor given the new course of his evening, given that conversation would eventually turn to his shop location. Or at least, he hoped it would. He was much more interested in the potential for business instead of the potential for disgust over his heritage, though some days the truth went over better than others. He hadn’t had enough that wasn’t caffeinated for drink to make that even remotely enjoyable. Yet.

By the time Umbida was at his table, he was just another imbala, eager for a bit more coffee and all a freckle-cheeked flash of straight white teeth at the arati who now knew his full name,

“Ea, you’re most correct, Umbida Oba. Domea for the kindness of thinking of me.” His head bobbed deeply with somewhat obligatory humility, offering a broad smile as he sat up straighter in his seat, knees brushing the underside of the table, “Ma’ralio, esteemed gentlemen.”