Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Language in Mugroba (Tek and Muluku Pidgin?)

More questions that filtered through my head while walking to work this morning (it's a long walk): Do Mugroba wicks use Tek? Is it the same? If it's different, I think I'd enjoy doing some of that write-up.

I also had an idea about the Muluku Islands having their own Mug/Estuan/Tek pidgin language (think Hawaiian Pidgin, only the Thorns version). Because they're a big hub of trade between ORH in Anaxas and Mugroba and possibly elsewhere (other countries surely also trade by sea), then there is the possibility for some fun pidgin. I'd guess the Muluku natives already had their own derivative of Mugrobi language, but perhaps the influence of Estuan from imbali exiles and Tek from nomadic wicks settling would create something ... fun.

Anyway, again, I'm posting this for discussion.

Comments

• SularSular Member
    I like the idea of a cant for the islands it might also have a Bethaj substratum as they have their own highly nautical dialect and probably trade with the islands a good deal. 

The muluk language (or languages) is likely to be quite different from the language of Thul Ka (I've been using Amharic for some of the Thul Ka things along with Swahili), though there are likely to be loan words and things. Mugrobi might be used primarily as an administrative language in the islands and the various muluk languages would me more for day to day use. That would help give Mugroba a more imperial flavor.     
  • Yeah. I thought about the Bethaj as well, considering they're probably the most well-traveled wick group in Mugroba; they may even have some presence or roots on/from the Muluku Islands anyway.
  • edited July 2014

Count 1-10 in Mugrobi!

Chiji = 1
    Mbilo = 2
    Onja = 3 (all multiples of three end in "ja" and are considered "auspicious numbers")
    Pame = 4
    Tajo = 5
    Sitja = 6
    Dzama = 7 (notice the similarity to dze, 7 is the "meh" number)
    Netu = 8
    Tija = 9
    Lujo = 10

You're welcome.

• edited August 2014
    More new words.

Son: ja'xa
    Daughter: jue'na