Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naming Conventions (Mugrobi Edition)

I just wanted to start a thread on the updating of naming conventions for Mugroba.

I had some thoughts while walking to work today, based on a few comments by @Sular, so I thought I'd post these and we could, you know, discuss. The current Mugrobi naming conventions call for a recognizable two name combination (first and last), which I could see being the status quo for humans and some more tsat wicks. For some reason, I don't see humans using as many ' stops in their name as say a galdor or an imbali or even a wick. That's of course open to interpretation. Just my brain as I write this.

That said, I could see galdori and imbali having much more superfluous naming conventions that are both descriptive and connected to family ties, traditions, etc. Sular mentioned his thoughts for Muluku Isle natives having long names (5-words!), which while he didn't elaborate, makes me think of a story-telling sort of thought process to naming conventions, which I could see in the well-to-do galdori as well as the traditionalist imbali folk. 

For the herdsmen nomadic wick tribes, I could see their naming conventions being something like "son of" or "daughter of" (depending on if their structure is patriarchal or matriarchal). Whatever that would look like in Mugrobi, anyway. Just an idea there; I haven't gotten much further than a thought.

So, that's where I'm at. Thoughts? :D

Comments

• SularSular Member
    edited July 2014
    In coming up with names of late, I have found the following two links regarding Ethiopian (and largely Amharic) names to be a great source of inspiration and utility

I also make liberal use of Behind the Name